Thursday, February 22, 2007

K'nex electric spinning wheel

This spinning wheel does not function, but with a few modifications, it might work.

I went to Spa Knit and Spin in Maine with my family this weekend. There were about a bazillion different kinds of spinning wheels. One of them looked very much like this, except it was pedal-powered. Mine is operated by a K'nex motor.

The problem here is that the spindle and flyer assembly does not work. It is too flimsy. The bobbin is attached to flyer assembly and all the weight rests on a single rod, so when it's in action, it snaps the connection. I'm trying to figure out how to fix this. Please send a comment if you have ideas.

Meanwhile, I've been spinning on my sister's wheel. There's a picture of my most recent bobbin on my family's blog, Live and Let Learn.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW. Nice job at building a spinning wheel. You will figure how to fix the problem before long. I also like that you have a picture for your profile but I really like to see your handsome face-not the barrel of your machine gun. Can I have another picture please!
Grandma

Anonymous said...

Better but it is those big browns that Grandma loves. Oh well I know what they look like and i will get to see them while on vacation for the week.
Love ya,
Grandma